Tropical Chicken Skewers with Tamarind-Balsamic Glaze
July 2, 2018
- ½ cup STAR extra virgin olive oil
- 4 3-inch sprigs rosemary
- 5 3-inch sprigs oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 24 2-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, ribbed, and cut into 24 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 24 1-inch pieces
- About ⅔ peeled and cored pineapple, cut into 24 1-inch pieces (save the remaining pineapple for another use)
- 3 tablespoons STAR Cream Balsamic Glaze
- 3 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
- ½ toasted coconut for garnish
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated into cups
Prep Time: 20 mins
Refrigeration Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 4 hours, 30 mins
1. To prepare the chicken, combine the olive oil, rosemary, oregano, and garlic in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate, occasionally turning the chicken, for at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat a ridged stovetop grill pan over high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Alternately thread 3 pieces bell pepper, 3 pieces onion, 3 pieces pineapple, and 4 pieces chicken on each skewer. Place on a platter and repeat process with the remaining ingredients and skewers.
4. Brush the skewers evenly with half of the balsamic glaze. Add the skewers to the hot grill pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the skewers and brush them with additional glaze. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. (You may have to do this in batches if your grill pan isn’t large enough to hold all the skewers at one time.)
5. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
6. Serve the skewers on a bed of the lettuce leaves. Brush with additional glaze and serve remaining sauce on the side.
Your favorite morning show is getting charged up with five fresh new faces! The first-ever Celebrity Edition of The Balancing Act is here.
Naomi Whittel is widely recognized as the one to watch in the “wellness from within” space, hailed as a trailblazer and an advocate of purity and potency in nutraceuticals.
Serving real Memphis-style barbecue since 1992, Sticky Fingers Ribhouse has five signature sauces so you can get sauced at home.