October 27, 2015
Soup is a no-brainer, go-to meal as soon as the temperatures start to dip. However, the convenience of the canned options from the grocery store is trumped by the high sodium levels. So next time you’re craving a steaming bowl of soul-warming soup, make it at home! This recipe is a simple classic to get you started.
4 cups chopped tomatoes
1 sliced onion
4 whole cloves
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
- In a stockpot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all the flavors.
- Remove from heat and run the mixture through a food mill into a large bowl or pan. Discard any debris left in the food mill.
- In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the color is medium brown.
- Gradually whisk in some of the tomato mixture so that no lumps form.
- Season with sugar and salt, adjusting to your tastes.
On this episode, Beth Troutman tells her story; Christina Nicholson embarks on an adventure to Orlando with her family; and former football player Marc Bouniconti shares his journey.
Three decades later, Marc Buoniconti, a quadriplegic, visits The Balancing Act to talk about his life, his mission, and his goal to one day walk again.
The Balancing Act's host Christina Nicholson and her family are embarking on a fun-filled vacation to Orlando, Fla., also known as the "theme park capital of the world."