October 7, 2015
Sometimes, the simplest ingredients around your home can create the most delicious, unexpected treats. While it uses familiar saltine crackers as a base, this toffee bar recipe is anything but basic. Your friends and family won’t believe what the secret ingredient is!
35 saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 (6-oz.) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
½ cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a 15×10-inch jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange crackers in a single layer on prepared pan.
- In a small saucepan, place butter and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and boil for 3 minutes (do not stir).
- Immediately spread butter mixture over crackers.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate morsels over top. Let stand for 2 minutes or until melted. Spread melted chocolate over tops of crackers.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits.
- Let cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Break into pieces before serving.
Behind the Mystery is a special segment dedicated to revolutionizing the way the health care system works for those suffering from a rare and genetic disorder.
Behind the Mystery takes a closer look at one of the two types of Polycystic Kidney disease. Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease, or ADPKD, is a rare, genetic condition.
Behind the Mystery takes a closer look at Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm, a rare disease that is often misdiagnosed and affects at least 500 to 1,000 patients each year in the U.S.