Spicy Short Ribs with Lime & Basil
January 18, 2016
The magic of any meal made in a slow cooker is the incredible flavor that’s created, without too much work. While the prep for this recipe is a little more hands on, we promise the finished product is worth it. With a sweet, citrusy tang from the lime marmalade, the rich braise pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes, rice, baby bok choy or sautéed chard. Find the marmalade in the British section of the international aisle at the supermarket.
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 3 lb. small, bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 small, fresh, hot red chiles, such as Thai bird,
- stemmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 medium cloves garlic, quartered
- 1, 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup lime marmalade
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil leaves, plus small leaves for garnish (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 5- to 6-quart stovetop-safe slow cooker insert (or a 12-inch skillet) over medium heat. Add half the short ribs and brown well, turning once, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining short ribs.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chiles, garlic, ginger, thyme, allspice and nutmeg; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the marmalade and stir until melted. Fit the insert into the slow cooker. (If using a skillet, scrape its contents into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.)
- Stir in the broth and soy sauce. Nestle the short ribs into the sauce, pouring any juice from the bowl on top. Cover and cook until fork tender, 5-6 hours on high or 9 hours on low. (The short ribs can stay on the keep-warm setting for up to 2 hours.)
- Use tongs to transfer the short ribs to serving bowls or a platter. Strain the sauce into a fat separator; set aside for a few minutes. Pour the defatted sauce into a 3-quart saucepan, add the vinegar and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and cook for 1 minute to let the flavors meld. Season to taste with salt and pepper, pour the sauce over the short ribs, garnish with small basil leaves, if using, and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Meet Vori Health, the new whole-person back, neck, hip, and knee pain company that’ll help you get that spring back into your step.
Stylish, size-inclusive, and affordable fashions for both men and women from the Blair family of brands. Check it out now!
CreditRepair.com enforces consumers’ right to an accurate, fair, and substantiated credit report.