8 Personal Safety Tips for Running at Night
January 27, 2015
Thinking about taking up running as one of your New Year’s resolutions? It doesn’t matter if you are running in the middle of the day or at night, you need to take precautions. Runners like to get into their “zone” and block out the all the distractions around them. Here are 8 must-know before you go simple tips to help keep you safe while you stay in shape.
- Always tell someone where you are going, what route you are taking and what time you expect to return. Planning the safest possible route in advance is extremely important.
- Try to run in pairs or with a friend. Although this may not always be possible, I’m sure you remember the old saying about “safety in numbers.” Well, it’s true!
- Carry pepperspray with you at all times. Put it on a lanyard around your neck or tuck in your sports bra. It’s inexpensive, quick, easy and very effective against single or multiple attackers. Just pointing it at someone is a great deterrent, if necessary.
- Bad guys are looking for easy targets. Leave one ear free from your radio, iPod, etc. We get so caught up in our personal electronics that we are walking in front of cars and into bad situations. You need to hear if someone is approaching you.
- Carry a small lightweight flashlight, wear light colored clothing and/or be sure that you have reflective material on your outfit or your shoes. Also, consider the elements when you are running. You don’t to be over or under dressed.
- Try to run in well-lit, high-traveled areas. You are less likely to be a victim, when in crowded area; and if for some reason you need assistance, there would likely be someone around to help you.
- Don’t allow anyone to approach you. Keep your personal space of 7-10 feet. Oftentimes, bad guys will try to strike up a conversation with you in order to get closer, leaving you little or no time to react.
- This probably goes without saying, but always keep your cell phone within easy access with 911 as a speed dial.
The safety tips in this article and many others can be found on our Simple Self Defense for Women DVD. Please visit our website www.simpleselfdefenseforwomen.com for more details.
Tracy & Charley Vega, Co-Founders
Simple Self Defense for Women®
Having good, reliable health insurance can literally be a lifesaver. When you’re in the market for a plan, it’s best to work with an insurance broker you can trust. Here’s what you need to know to make it as easy as possible. It all starts with a needs analysis. The experts at Barakat Insurance can […]
Civil litigation law requires a special type of legal help. It’s not the same as criminal law and it can happen to anybody. The goal is to avoid litigation and solve these issues through mediation. Solomon, Vigh & Springer, P.A. share what you need to know.
Being the parent of a medically fragile child is a big challenge, but you don’t have to do it alone. The experts at Focus Forward Skilled Care are helping and supporting Florida families with wisdom and compassion. They use an approach called the TEAM method to make sure their patients have consistent care throughout their […]