Roasted Beet Salad
October 16, 2015
Many of us are only used to the pickled beets we see in jars at the store, but there are multiple other ways to enjoy them. For this fresh, citrusy salad, start by picking smaller beets (they’ll be more tender than the larger ones) with smooth skin and crisp bright greens attached.
Roasted Beet Salad
1 lb. (about 12) assorted red and golden
baby beets, trimmed
2 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
¼ tsp each salt and pepper, divided
¼ tsp sugar
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups each firmly packed baby arugula
and spring mix salad greens
2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the beets by cutting the leafy tops about 1 inch above the roots. Scrub them thoroughly with a vegetable brush and pat dry before using.
- Divide the whole beets between two sheets of foil on a rimmed baking pan. Make a pouch out of each sheet of foil and seal.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes (if you can pierce them easily with a knife, they are done). Cool for 10 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine orange juice, vinegar, 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper and the sugar in a measuring cup. Slowly whisk in oil until well combined.
- Rub the skin off the beets with a paper towel or wear rubber gloves to prevent staining your hands. Cut the beets into wedges.
- In a medium bowl, toss the beets with 1 Tbsp. of the dressing.
- In a large bowl, toss the salad greens with the remaining 1/8 tsp salt and pepper. Add the beets and the remaining dressing, gently tossing to combine.
- Top with goat cheese and serve.
Woman’s Day, May 2010
Chef Stuart O’Keeffe is back to create delicious homemade salad dressings in mason jars with a special ingredient: Star extra virgin olive oil and vinegar.
Today on The Balancing Act, we start out with a new social network available exclusively to college students. ePEERS is a safe, supportive social forum for college students. Find out why this new platform is helping students from around the country connect peer-to-peer. ePEERS is a great resource for incoming freshmen—and any college student who […]
This simple, fresh salad dressing has a rich herb flavor punctuated with a peppery finish. Enjoy this recipe from Star Fine Foods!