Living With Diabetic Nerve Pain of the Feet
May 17, 2021
Painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy of the feet, or diabetic nerve pain of the feet, is a type of nerve damage that is a common complication of diabetes. Patients describe the pain in their feet as burning, an electrical shock, pins and needles, or stabbing and knife-like.
There are three FDA-approved oral prescription treatments for diabetic nerve pain of the feet, and one FDA-approved topical prescription treatment. QUTENZA (capsaicin) 8% topical system is a patch that works differently and is the first FDA-approved topical treatment of neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) of the feet in adults.
Please see Important Safety Information below and Full Prescribing Information. QUTENZA is applied for 30-minutes at the doctor’s office. It has been shown to reduce diabetic nerve pain of the feet for up to three months and it can be used with or without other pain medications.
Ed suffered for over 15 years with addiction issues, while trying to manage his diabetic nerve pain. We’ll hear his story, as well from Dr. Neel Mehta, Division Chief of Weill Cornell Pain Management, on the importance of an honest doctor-patient relationship and how a pain management specialist can be an important part of your care team.
Important Safety Information
QUTENZA® (capsaicin) 8% topical system is indicated in adults for the treatment of neuropathic pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) and for neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) of the feet.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Treatment with QUTENZA must be performed only by a healthcare provider. You should never apply or remove QUTENZA yourself.
Warnings and Precautions
– Do not touch QUTENZA or items exposed to capsaicin. Touching QUTENZA and then accidentally touching other areas of your body can cause severe irritation of eyes, mucous membranes, respiratory tract, and skin.
– QUTENZA is not for use near eyes or mucous membranes. Do not sniff or inhale near QUTENZA as this may cause you to cough or sneeze.
– If any of these side effects become severe, tell your healthcare provider immediately.
– Even though a numbing medicine is used on the skin before applying QUTENZA, some patients may still experience substantial pain during the treatment. Tell your healthcare provider if you are experiencing pain; a cool compress or medicine for the pain can be provided to help lessen your discomfort.
– QUTENZA can cause serious side effects, including pain and increases in blood pressure during or right after treatment.
– Your healthcare provider should check your blood pressure during treatment with QUTENZA.
– If you have high blood pressure that is not well controlled by medicine, or have had recent heart problems, stroke, or other vascular problems, you may be at increased risk and should discuss with your doctor whether QUTENZA is right for you.
– Tell your doctor if you have reduced sensation in the feet. You may notice that you have less feeling for hot or sharp pain where QUTENZA was applied, but this is usually minor and temporary.
In all clinical trials, the most common drug-related side effects of QUTENZA were redness, pain, or itching where QUTENZA was applied. You should tell your doctor if any side effects bother you or do not go away.
Adverse Event Reporting
Physicians, other healthcare providers, and patients are encouraged to voluntarily report adverse events involving drugs or medical devices. To make a report you can:
– In the U.S., visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088; or
– For QUTENZA, you may also call 1-877-900-6479 and select option 1, or press zero on your keypad to talk to an operator to direct your call.
For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Please see full Prescribing Information at: https://www.qutenza.com/pdfs/Qutenza_Prescribing_Information.pdf
Calibrate’s one-year virtual program is a modern, medical solution that targets the root cause of weight. Weight isn't a lifestyle choice — it's biological, and they treat it that way by resetting your metabolic system and losing weight from the inside out.
Founded in 1998, millions of Americans trust coupons.com to help them save money. With the goal of transforming couponing, coupons.com makes it easier to provide value to consumers.
Up next on The Balancing Act: how to reset your metabolism and lose weight; an innovative business opportunity for today’s entrepreneur; and savvy savings tips for families.