Crispy Parmesan Chicken
January 29, 2016
Crispy, delicious, and healthy
It’s hard to compete with fried chicken, but this baked alternative is so crispy and crunchy (not to mention healthier), that you might just declare it your new favorite! Serve it on a bed of greens to keep the carbs to a minimum, or go traditional and add your favorite pasta and red sauce.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about
1 ½ lb.)*
¼ cup nonfat or low fat buttermilk (shake well
½ cup whole-wheat flour (or any other type
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp black pepper
3 large egg whites
1 Tbsp. skim milk (or water)
2 tsp. hot sauce
¾ cup finely grated Parmesan
¼ cup ground flaxseed
*Alternatively, use 1 ½ lb. thin chicken
cutlets and skip step 1.
- Holding your knife parallel to the cutting board, carefully slice into each breast horizontally, taking care not to slice all the way through the meat. Fold each breast open so it lies flat.
- Place the breasts in a ziptop plastic bag. Add the buttermilk and seal it. Squish the contents around to ensure all the chicken is coated with buttermilk. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat the foil with nonstick spray.
- Set out three shallow dishes for a three-step breading station. In the first dish, combine the flour, onion powder, salt and pepper; mix well. In the second dish, combine the egg whites, milk and hot sauce; whisk together until slightly frothy. In the third dish, combine the Parmesan and flaxseed; mix well.
- Shake the excess buttermilk off one of the chicken breasts and press it into the first dish, coating both sides with seasoned flour. Shake off the excess flour, then dip it into the second dish, coating both sides with egg mixture. Finally, lay the chicken in the third dish, coating both sides with the cheese-flaxseed mixture.
- Place the breast on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining three chicken breasts.
- Mist the top of each breast with the nonstick spray. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until browned and crispy.
Woman’sDay, April 2010
Experience the acclaimed new production of the legendary musical Miss Saigon, from the creators of Les Misérables.
Using products from Nature's Own, we're going beyond the basic sandwich with celebrity chef Ralph Pagano.
Let's be honest: As parents, we can have a lot of trouble making the stories of the Bible come alive for our kids. Bible Belles makes it fun and easy.