Chili Con Carne
October 5, 2015
As temperatures around the country start to drop, comfort foods that warm us up start to sound more and more appetizing. This recipe is perfect for the fall weather and a Monday: simple yet satisfying.
Chili Con Carne
1 ½ lb. lean ground beef or turkey
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 (20-oz.) cans red kidney beans
Chili powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pint sour cream
1 cup uncooked white rice
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble meat into the skillet and brown gently, using a fork to break it up.
- Add garlic and about three quarters of the chopped onion.
- While the meat mixture simmers, drain and rinse beans and put them in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add meat mixture, 2-3 Tbsp. chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Once the rice is finished, taste the chili. Add more chili powder and other seasonings, if necessary.
- Skim off any fat that may have collected.
- Put sour cream and remaining chopped onion in serving bowls for garnish.
- Serve the chili over rice in soup bowls.
Yield: 6 servings
Chef Stuart O’Keeffe is back to create delicious homemade salad dressings in mason jars with a special ingredient: Star extra virgin olive oil and vinegar.
Today on The Balancing Act, we start out with a new social network available exclusively to college students. ePEERS is a safe, supportive social forum for college students. Find out why this new platform is helping students from around the country connect peer-to-peer. ePEERS is a great resource for incoming freshmen—and any college student who […]
This simple, fresh salad dressing has a rich herb flavor punctuated with a peppery finish. Enjoy this recipe from Star Fine Foods!