January 9, 2016
This delicious cherry pie will provide some nice variety for your plate and your palate.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1/2 cup ground toasted almonds
½ tsp salt
10 Tbsp. cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch
2/3 cup ice water
2 lbs. pitted fresh cherries
¼ cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp. water
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp kosher salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, ½ cup sugar, almonds and salt. Add butter to flour mixture, pulsing until mixture is crumbly, approximately 20 seconds. With food processor running, add ice water in a slow steady stream until mixture forms a dough.
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap; shape into two equal disks. Wrap each disk tightly; refrigerate until firm, approximately 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, combine cherries and ½ cup sugar over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Add cornstarch mixture to cherries, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and salt. Reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, roll one disk of dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim excess pastry ½ inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under dough hanging over the edge. Crimp edge as desired. Prick bottom and up sides of dough with a fork.
- Bake until edges are barely golden, approximately 15 minutes. Spoon cherry mixture into prepared crust.
- Roll remaining disk of pie dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a pastry wheel or knife, cut into 1-inch-wide strips. Arrange in a lattice design over top of cherry mixture. Trim strips even with edges and press together.
- Brush dough with egg and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Taste of the South
On this episode of The Balancing Act, we’re discussing all things health and science with a side dish of QuickBytes. BioTE Medical is a leader in Precision and Preventive Medicine. They create patient-centric strategies that optimize hormones for women and men. Amazon Future Engineer is a comprehensive childhood-to-career program aimed at increasing access to computer […]
Since 1925, Lewis Bake Shop has been rising to the challenge of baking the very best products with a forward-thinking passion for growth and innovation. The result: Bread for the way you live™.
BioTE Medical is a leader in Precision and Preventive Medicine. They create patient-centric strategies that optimize hormones for women and men.