Chemical Ingredients You’re Probably Using Every Day
October 15, 2015
The terms “natural” and “organic” seem to be popping up everywhere these days. But just because a product has the right buzz words on the label, doesn’t mean it is free of harmful chemicals.
Many of us use beauty products every day, which means potentially toxic ingredients are being absorbed beyond the surface of our skin. To avoid this scary possibility, learn to check the labels of your cosmetics and skin care items carefully. Consult an esthetician specializing in natural or holistic skin care or talk to the helpful staff at your local health foods store.
For additional help, here is a list of potentially harmful ingredients commonly found in personal care products:
- Benzyl acetate – Linked to pancreatic cancer; may also cause damage to lungs, liver and gastrointestinal tract
- Bronopol – Found in moisturizer, body wash, makeup remover and anti-aging products; may harm immune system, lungs and skin
- Benzalkonium chloride and benzethonium chloride – Found in moisturizer, sunscreen, facial cleanser and acne treatment; may harm immune system; can trigger asthma; possible carcinogen
- Diethanolamine (DEA) – Found in sunscreen, moisturizer, foundation and hair color; may harm skin and immune system; possible carcinogen
- Formaldehyde – Found in deodorant, nail polish, soap, shampoo and shaving cream; may harm immune system and respiratory systems, skin and blood; possible carcinogen
- 1,4-Dioxane – Found in body lotion, moisturizer, sunless tanning products, baby soap and anti-aging products; found in 46 of 100 personal care products marketed as “organic” or “natural”; inhalation exposure to high levels has caused vertigo, drowsiness, headache, anorexia and irritation of the eyes, nose, throat and lungs; may also irritate the skin; classified by the EPA as a probable carcinogen
For a full list of harmful chemicals that have been linked to cancer and other health risks, visit www.teensturninggreen.org.
Women, Winter 2010
A good lawyer can be invaluable to a thriving business. The challenge is how to find one! We go to the office of Miami attorney Michele Formaggio to learn some tips on how to go about finding a trusted legal partner for you and your venture. From the real estate industry to the corporate world, […]
We’re in South Florida discussing legal advice, spine health, buying diamond rings, and lots more! A good lawyer can be invaluable to a thriving business. The challenge is how to find one! Miami attorney Michele Formaggio has some tips on how to go about finding a trusted legal partner for you and your venture. Buying […]
Having good, reliable health insurance can literally be a lifesaver. When you’re in the market for a plan, it’s best to work with an insurance broker you can trust. Here’s what you need to know to make it as easy as possible. It all starts with a needs analysis. The experts at Barakat Insurance can […]