Broccoli Leaf Tortellini
November 12, 2015
With a piece of Parmigiano rind adding a savory depth to the broth, it might be hard to limit yourself to just one bowl of this hearty tortellini soup. Sprinkle a little more Parmigiano on top to bring out the earthy sweetness of the broccoli greens even more.
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 small rib celery, finely chopped
½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 thyme sprigs
1 large clove garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 quarts lower-sodium chicken broth
1 small Parmigiano-Reggiano rind (1×2 inches)
9 oz. fresh cheese tortellini
12 oz. broccoli leaves, stemmed and chopped
(about 5 ½ cups)
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
- Melt the butter in a 5- to 6-quart pot. Add the carrot, celery, onion, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and cheese rind. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes to meld the flavors. Remove and discard the thyme, garlic, bay leaf and rind.
- Return the broth to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and broccoli leaves and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with an additional sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese, if desired.
We’re back with a new episode of The Balancing Act! Stay tuned as we go behind the scenes of the record-breaking musical Cats, and much more.
Looking for a boost? That's where RXBAR comes in.
Family First Life knows all about affordable life insurance policies. They give everything they have to earn trust with clients and agents.