Broccoli Leaf Tortellini
November 12, 2015
With a piece of Parmigiano rind adding a savory depth to the broth, it might be hard to limit yourself to just one bowl of this hearty tortellini soup. Sprinkle a little more Parmigiano on top to bring out the earthy sweetness of the broccoli greens even more.
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 small rib celery, finely chopped
½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 thyme sprigs
1 large clove garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 quarts lower-sodium chicken broth
1 small Parmigiano-Reggiano rind (1×2 inches)
9 oz. fresh cheese tortellini
12 oz. broccoli leaves, stemmed and chopped
(about 5 ½ cups)
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
- Melt the butter in a 5- to 6-quart pot. Add the carrot, celery, onion, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and cheese rind. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes to meld the flavors. Remove and discard the thyme, garlic, bay leaf and rind.
- Return the broth to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and broccoli leaves and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with an additional sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese, if desired.
Cats, the record-breaking musical spectacular by Andrew Lloyd Webber that has captivated audiences in over 30 countries and 15 languages, is now on tour across North America!
From Broadway to cooking and health, stay tuned for another jam-packed episode of The Balancing Act.
Last month, we sat down with Laura Kronen, who shared her experience with managing diabetes. She's back to give us an update on life with Eversense.