A Guide to Cooking Corned Beef: Make These Recipes at Home
March 7, 2022
QuickBytes with chef Ralph Pagano is inspiring a younger generation to use Grobbel’s, America’s oldest corned beef specialist founded in 1883.
On the menu? Corned beef croquetas and empanadas, Reuben pizza, and traditional corned beef and cabbage. Check out the recipes below!
- 1 pre-baked pizza dough, 12-inch
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt
- 4 oz. of sliced Swiss cheese
- 2 oz. of shredded Swiss cheese
- 16 oz. of sauerkraut
- 6 oz. of cold corned beef, sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup of Thousand Island dressing
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- Squeeze all water out of the sauerkraut.
- Brush the edge of the pizza crust with melted butter.
- Sprinkle salt and caraway seeds on the edge.
- Lay sliced Swiss cheese on the dough, leaving a ¾-inch rim.
- Top with (dry) sauerkraut and corned beef.
- Sprinkle the shredded Swiss cheese on top.
- Place in the oven, preferably on a pizza stone or the back of a cooking sheet, at 450 degrees for 6 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Cook and serve:
- Take out of the oven and place on a cutting/serving board, and let cool for a couple of minutes before slicing.
- Drizzle the Thousand Island dressing over the pizza and enjoy!
Corned Beef Croquetas
- 2 cups of cold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup of rough chopped corned beef
- 1/2 cup of shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups plain panko bread crumbs
- Set up breading station:
- Place flour in a shallow bowl or baking tray.
- Wisk 2 eggs with 1 tablespoon of water and place in a shallow bowl or baking tray.
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl or baking tray.
- Set aside.
Make the croquetas:
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mix into 24 walnut-size balls.
- Wet your hands and roll the balls into cork shapes. (Wet hands will provide a little stickiness to the outside of the croquetas to help the flour stick.)
- Place croquetas in the flour tray, and roll to cover all surfaces.
- Place the floured croquetas in the egg mix and roll to cover all surfaces.
- Place the croquetas in the bread crumbs tray, and then roll and lightly press to cover all surfaces.
- Croquetas are ready to cook or keep in the fridge until ready to cook.
Cook and serve:
- Preheat a deep fryer at 350 degrees and cook the croquetas for 3 to 4 minutes or until hot and golden brown, let drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot or room temperature with a dipping sauce and enjoy.
Corned Beef Empanadas
For the filling:
- 2 cups of rough chopped corned beef
- 1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup of sauerkraut, drained and squeezed
- 2 tablespoons of rough chopped sweet pickles
For the dough:
- 1 package of pre-rolled pie dough (2 pack)
- 2 eggs
- Sprinkle a pinch of flour on your work surface.
- Open and roll out each dough.
- Cut six 4-inch circles from each pie dough for a total of 12.
- Mix all the ingredients of the filling in a large bowl and divide into 12 portions
- Wisk the 2 eggs in a little bowl and set aside.
Assemble the empanadas:
- Place a portion of filling in the center of each dough circle (keep a ¾-inch border all around).
- Brush egg wash on the ¾-inch rim.
- Fold the dough in half and crimp the edges with a fork, creating a sealed half-moon pocket of yumminess.
Cook and serve:
- Place empanadas in a pre-greased cookie sheet.
- Brush the top with remaining egg wash.
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees and cook the empanadas for 20 minutes or until hot and golden brown.
- Serve hot with a dipping sauce and enjoy.
Help for those with COPD, promising news for our four-legged friends suffering from cancer, and a non-invasive way to sculpt our bodies.
ELIAS Animal Health's mission is to improve cancer treatment outcomes in veterinary patients through the advancement of innovative, scientifically-proven therapies.
Body sculpting does not have to be an invasive and taxing procedure. AirSculpt is a next-generation body contouring technology that removes and transfers fat using patented technology.