The Rise of ADHD
August 14, 2015
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, studies show that the number of children being diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD, is increasing, although it is unclear why. The best way to determine if your child is affected by this mental disorder is to talk to your doctor. However, below is a list of symptoms and behaviors to watch out for:
Inability to sustain attention:
- Easily distracted, miss details, forget things and frequently switch from one activity to another
- Difficulty focusing on one thing
- Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless they are doing something enjoyable
- Difficulty focusing attention on organizing and completing a task or learning something new
- Have trouble completing or turning in homework assignments
- Often losing things (e.g. pencils, toys, assignments) needed to complete tasks or activities
- Do not listen when spoken to
- Daydream, become easily confused, and move slowly
- Difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as others
- Struggle to follow instructions
- Fidget and squirm in their seats
- Talk nonstop
- Dash around, touching or playing with anything and everything in sight
- Have trouble sitting still during dinner, school and story time
- Constantly in motion
- Have difficulty doing quiet tasks or activities
- Very impatient
- Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint and act without regard for consequences
- Have difficulty waiting for things they want or waiting their turn in games
- Often interrupt conversations or others’ activities
If you see these signs in your child, contact your pediatrician to discuss treatment options. For more information on ADHD, go to http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/index.shtml.
Julie and co-host Olga Villaverde are making a very special road trip from Julie's home in Atlanta to The Balancing Act's remodeled studio in South Florida.
The Balancing Act welcomes three successful sisters who are on mission to provide great advice, practical tips and easy solutions to life’s everyday issues.
Blogger, stylist and influencer Carrie Greenberg "test drives" FOREO's line of gentle, age-defying facial cleansing brushes.