Smoky Indonesian-Style Chicken Curry
November 5, 2015
Is it just us or does Daylight Savings Time feel like the unofficial kickoff of winter? Evenings are darker, the chill in the air is undeniable and hibernation sounds more and more like the only reasonable way to deal with it. Instead of curling up in a cave, try curling up with a bowl of this aromatic, soul-warming stew. It serves four by itself, but can be stretched to serve eight with the addition of jasmine rice and a side.
5 dried pasilla or New Mexico chiles,
stemmed and seeded
1 small shallot, quartered
2 Tbsp. thinly sliced lemongrass
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 Tbsp. sweet smoked paprika
1 Tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp. sambal oelek
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp dried coriander
6 Tbsp. low-sodium chicken broth
8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 ¼ lb.),
Freshly ground black pepper
1 ¼ lb. waxy potatoes, such as Yukon Gold,
cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 ½ cups)
½ lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into
2/3 cup thawed frozen peas
- Put the chiles in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside to soften for 20 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a blender.
- Add the shallot, lemongrass, tomato paste, smoked paprika, ginger, brown sugar, sambal oelek, cumin, coriander and 2 tsp salt.
- Blend the mixture until smooth, drizzling the broth through the hole in the lid and stopping occasionally to scrape down the inside of the blender.
- Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper and spread evenly with the chile mixture.
- Layer the potatoes in the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker and arrange the chicken in an even layer on top.
- Cover and cook until the potatoes are fork tender and the chicken is tender, but not falling off the bone (2-3 hours on high or 6 hours on low). If you’re not serving immediately, the curry can stay on the keep-warm setting for up to 3 hours.
- About 45 minutes before serving, turn the slow cooker to high (if on low or keep-warm setting). Sprinkle the green beans evenly over the top, cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 30 minutes. Add the peas and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir to combine, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Fine Cooking, February/March 2015
Ways to Manage Cancer- a special health edition of The Balancing Act. For those who suffer from cancer- chemotherapy can be debilitating, however it is necessary for the effective treatment of the disease. There are now way to receive at home cancer infusion. It allows the patient to still receive gold standard of care in […]
InfuSystem is a growing healthcare company that provides infusion pumps and related products and services for patients in the home, oncology clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, and other sites of care from five locations serving all 50 States and Canada. According to their Director of Clinical Resources, Carrie Lachance they deliver improved patient experiences and high […]
Get reedy for another in our Broadway Balances America series. Watch as we go behind the scenes with Emilio and Gloria Estefan’s and discuss the musical On Your Feet!, which is based on their incredible lives. We sit down with the music icons and learn why they truly personify the American Dream. Also, are you […]