Smokey Quinoa & Bean Burgers
October 21, 2015
Just because you’re cutting back on red meat, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a burger. This quinoa and bean alternative is still packed with protein, so it’s sure to fill you up, without filling you out.
Smokey Quinoa & Bean Burgers
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- In a small saucepan, bring ¾ cup water to a boil over high heat. Add a pinch of salt, then stir in the quinoa.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until all the water has absorbed and quinoa is tender, 12-14 minutes. Tip: Tilt the pan to make sure the water has absorbed, but do not stir.
- Turn off the heat and let the quinoa steam, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a small skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place quinoa, onion, pinto beans, cilantro, walnuts, cumin, ½ tsp salt and paprika in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. With slightly moistened hands, form mixture into 4, ¾-inch-thick patties.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal, or medium heat for gas.
- Preheat grill grate for 10 minutes, then lightly oil it with canola oil.
- Brush patties all over with olive oil and place on grill. Cover if using a gas grill.
- Grill, carefully turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes total.
- For the last minute of cooking, place a slice of cheese on each burger to melt.
- Serve burgers on warmed corn tortillas with green chilies and other condiments, if desired.
¼ cup quinoa
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
½ small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
1 cup drained, canned pinto beans
½ cup finely chopped cilantro
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp smoked paprika
Canola oil, for grill grate
4 slices pepperjack cheese
4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 (4-oz). can mild sliced green chilies, drained
Salsa, guacamole and other condiments
Health, June 2015
Ways to Manage Cancer- a special health edition of The Balancing Act. For those who suffer from cancer- chemotherapy can be debilitating, however it is necessary for the effective treatment of the disease. There are now way to receive at home cancer infusion. It allows the patient to still receive gold standard of care in […]
InfuSystem is a growing healthcare company that provides infusion pumps and related products and services for patients in the home, oncology clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, and other sites of care from five locations serving all 50 States and Canada. According to their Director of Clinical Resources, Carrie Lachance they deliver improved patient experiences and high […]
Get reedy for another in our Broadway Balances America series. Watch as we go behind the scenes with Emilio and Gloria Estefan’s and discuss the musical On Your Feet!, which is based on their incredible lives. We sit down with the music icons and learn why they truly personify the American Dream. Also, are you […]