Silky Chocolate Pudding
November 4, 2015
Don’t let the instant mixes at the grocery store fool you – making pudding at home is almost as quick, and way more delicious, than anything you find in a box in the aisles. Master this simple chocolate custard for an easy, go-to dessert any time you’re in a pinch.
Silky Chocolate Pudding
1 ½ oz. (6 Tbsp.) cocoa powder
1 oz. (3 Tbsp.) cornstarch
¼ tsp table salt
1 cup heavy cream
2 large egg yolks
2 cups whole milk
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sift the cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt into a medium bowl. With a silicone spatula or whisk, slowly mix in the cream, eliminating any visible lumps as you go. The mixture will be quite thick. Mix in the egg yolks until combined. Set aside.
- Heat the milk and sugar in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, until the sugar dissolves.
- When bubbles form around the edge of the milk, remove the pan from heat. Whisk about half of the hot milk into the cocoa mixture slowly and gradually. When smooth, whisk it into the milk remaining in the saucepan.
- Bring the pudding to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking slowly and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching.
- The pudding will begin to thicken as it approaches a full boil. Watch for large, lava-like bubbles to roll up to the surface and for small, fast bubbles on the edges.
- When the pudding has reached this stage, turn the heat down to medium and whisk vigorously for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- Whisk in the vanilla. Transfer the pudding to a shallow container (such as an 8-inch baking dish) and spread it evenly. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 3 days.
- Before serving, whisk vigorously to loosen pudding.
Ways to Manage Cancer- a special health edition of The Balancing Act. For those who suffer from cancer- chemotherapy can be debilitating, however it is necessary for the effective treatment of the disease. There are now way to receive at home cancer infusion. It allows the patient to still receive gold standard of care in […]
InfuSystem is a growing healthcare company that provides infusion pumps and related products and services for patients in the home, oncology clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, and other sites of care from five locations serving all 50 States and Canada. According to their Director of Clinical Resources, Carrie Lachance they deliver improved patient experiences and high […]
Get reedy for another in our Broadway Balances America series. Watch as we go behind the scenes with Emilio and Gloria Estefan’s and discuss the musical On Your Feet!, which is based on their incredible lives. We sit down with the music icons and learn why they truly personify the American Dream. Also, are you […]