October 8, 2015
In case you missed our Monday lasagna post (or if you just ran out of leftovers), here’s another healthy twist on the family favorite, using beans instead of meat to help cut back on the calories.
2 onions, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Two 15-oz. cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
One 4-oz. can green chilies
Two 15-oz. cans chili-style or fire-roasted tomatoes (use no-salt-added tomatoes if you’re on a sodium-restricted diet)
1-2 Tbsp. chili powder (or to taste)
1 Tbsp. cumin (or to taste)
8 corn tortillas
2 cups low-fat, shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes in the olive oil. Add the beans, chilies, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spread one-third of the bean mixture in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with four of the tortillas and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Add another layer, starting with half of the remaning bean mixture, then the four remaining tortillas and 1 cup of cheese.
- Finish with the last of the bean mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake about 35 minutes.
Real Simple, May 2015
The Balancing Act goes behind the scenes with Disney’s Aladdin The Musical. Amber Milt interviews young actress Isabelle McCalla, who’s playing the role of Jasmine on the national tour. Plus, she learns one of the magical tap numbers with a brother and sister swing duo from the show. Thinking of a new career? Why don’t […]
Chef Bryan Tyrell introduces you to a whole new level of flavor with delicious recipes using The Original Sliders from White Castle. From stuffed peppers to beef quesadillas, these mini-burgers steam-grilled on a bed of onions add pizzazz to any recipe! White Castle invented these delicious bite-sized burgers, and now you can find them in […]
Join The Balancing Act host Amber Milt as she goes behind the scenes at Disney’s Aladdin for Broadway Across America. Based on the Academy Award-winning Disney animated film, Aladdin sweeps audiences into an exotic world of daring adventure, classic comedy and timeless romance. Come along for the ride as we meet Jasmine: Actress Isabelle McCalla, […]