Easy Pear Pie
October 6, 2015
Pears are one of the few fruits available year-round, however, it isn’t until the fall that they seem to step into the spotlight. This simple, beautiful, free-form pie is the perfect way to take full advantage.
Easy Pear Pie
1 (9-inch) unbaked, store-bought or premade
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar, plus 1 tsp for sprinkling
5 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced firm
pears (about 6-8 pears)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out piecrust dough into a 16-inch circle. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a deep bowl, combine cornstarch, cinnamon and 1 cup of the sugar. Add pears and vanilla and toss to coat well.
- Spoon pears onto center of crust, spreading to within 2 inches of edge.
- Bring crust up over pears to form a border of about 2 inches, pleating and folding crust as needed. Brush folded edge with egg white and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake until pears are tender and crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.
image source: SouthernFood
The Balancing Act goes behind the scenes with Disney’s Aladdin The Musical. Amber Milt interviews young actress Isabelle McCalla, who’s playing the role of Jasmine on the national tour. Plus, she learns one of the magical tap numbers with a brother and sister swing duo from the show. Thinking of a new career? Why don’t […]
Chef Bryan Tyrell introduces you to a whole new level of flavor with delicious recipes using The Original Sliders from White Castle. From stuffed peppers to beef quesadillas, these mini-burgers steam-grilled on a bed of onions add pizzazz to any recipe! White Castle invented these delicious bite-sized burgers, and now you can find them in […]
Join The Balancing Act host Amber Milt as she goes behind the scenes at Disney’s Aladdin for Broadway Across America. Based on the Academy Award-winning Disney animated film, Aladdin sweeps audiences into an exotic world of daring adventure, classic comedy and timeless romance. Come along for the ride as we meet Jasmine: Actress Isabelle McCalla, […]