Broccoli Leaf Tortellini
November 12, 2015
With a piece of Parmigiano rind adding a savory depth to the broth, it might be hard to limit yourself to just one bowl of this hearty tortellini soup. Sprinkle a little more Parmigiano on top to bring out the earthy sweetness of the broccoli greens even more.
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 small rib celery, finely chopped
½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 thyme sprigs
1 large clove garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 quarts lower-sodium chicken broth
1 small Parmigiano-Reggiano rind (1×2 inches)
9 oz. fresh cheese tortellini
12 oz. broccoli leaves, stemmed and chopped
(about 5 ½ cups)
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
- Melt the butter in a 5- to 6-quart pot. Add the carrot, celery, onion, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and cheese rind. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes to meld the flavors. Remove and discard the thyme, garlic, bay leaf and rind.
- Return the broth to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and broccoli leaves and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with an additional sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese, if desired.
The Balancing Act goes behind the scenes with Disney’s Aladdin The Musical. Amber Milt interviews young actress Isabelle McCalla, who’s playing the role of Jasmine on the national tour. Plus, she learns one of the magical tap numbers with a brother and sister swing duo from the show. Thinking of a new career? Why don’t […]
Chef Bryan Tyrell introduces you to a whole new level of flavor with delicious recipes using The Original Sliders from White Castle. From stuffed peppers to beef quesadillas, these mini-burgers steam-grilled on a bed of onions add pizzazz to any recipe! White Castle invented these delicious bite-sized burgers, and now you can find them in […]
Join The Balancing Act host Amber Milt as she goes behind the scenes at Disney’s Aladdin for Broadway Across America. Based on the Academy Award-winning Disney animated film, Aladdin sweeps audiences into an exotic world of daring adventure, classic comedy and timeless romance. Come along for the ride as we meet Jasmine: Actress Isabelle McCalla, […]